To me, there’s no better day out with the kids than a visit to one of many farms and petting zoos here in Yorkshire!
Farms in West Yorkshire
Meanwood Valley Urban Farm, Leeds
- Sugar Well Rd, Leeds LS7 2QG
- Open daily 10-4
- Adults – £2.50, Children – 50p, Children under 2 free
Meanwood Valley Urban Farm is a bargain at just £6 for a family of 4. The farm has alpacas, goats, guinea pigs, rabbits, donkeys, and ducks as well as a petting zoo. It also runs a breeding programme for endangered animals like the Yorkshire Whitefaced Woodland sheep. There is also a small playground and some walks on site. To top it off, the café serves locally sourced food for you and your tots to enjoy!
Swithen’s Farm, Leeds
- Swithen’s Lane, Rothwell, Leeds LS26 0BT
- Open daily
- Prices start at £6 for over 3’s. Under 3 Free entry.
Swithens Farm is just on the edge of Leeds and is a real working farm. Families can find a cafe, a soft play area indoors (an extra entry fee applies), and a small animal petting area. There are outdoor play areas and tractors to ride on as well as a zip wire for older kids.
For 50p you can buy carrots to feed the animals on your way around. Lily LOVED this (I did too!) We went in the morning so we got to help bottle feed calves. Swithens felt more like a ‘proper’ farm so it was less polished than some I’ve been to, but the animals seemed very well cared for
Goodalls of Tong, Tong Village
- Tong Lane, Bradford BD4 0RP
- Facebook Page
- Open daily, times vary
- Entry to the farm is free, ice cream cones start at £1.70.
Goodall’s of Tong is a family-run farm that serves over 25 flavors of their own ice cream and has a small collection of ducks, donkeys, pigs, and sheep for kids to visit at their petting zoo. There are also picnic tables for warm sunny days and an indoor tea room.
We love to visit Goodall’s, read our Review of Goodalls of Tong
Home Farm at Temple Newsam, Leeds
- Temple Newsam Road, Off Selby Road, Leeds LS15 0AE
- Temple Newsam Website
- Open Tuesday – Sunday 10-4 (10-5 in the summer)
- Adults – £4.30, Children – £3.00, Children under 4 free
- Discounted tickets for Breeze Card Holders
There are over 400 animals to visit at Home Farm including sheep, cattle, pigs, chickens and goats. The cobbled farmyard and historic building offer a lovely atmosphere for a farm day out. While you’re there you can also visit Temple Newsam, enjoy the adventure playground, picnic areas, nature trails, café, visitor’s centre and shop.
North Yorkshire Farms
Piglets Adventure Farm Park, York
- Piglets, Adventure Farm Park at The Farmer’s Cart, Towthorpe Grange, Towthorpe Moor Lane, York YO32 9ST
- Open daily 10-5:30 (March 26 – Nov 2)
- Ticket prices vary depending on the day.
Piglets Adventure Farm Park boasts an animal barn, farmyard trail (with optional quiz), bouncing pillows, crazy farm golf, maize maze, barrel train ride and go-karts. Enough to make Piglets an adventure farm park indeed!
Brimham Rocks Adventure Farm
- Brimham Rocks Road, Harrogate, HG3 3HB
- Brimhan Rocks Website
- Open Wednesday – Sunday 10-5
- Adults – £5, Children 2 and over – £6, Children under 2 – £3
Brimham Rocks Adventure Farm has both indoor and outdoor facilities including an animal barn & indoor play. There are themed activities every half term and a lovely cafe on site.
Hesketh Farm Park, Skipton
- Bolton Abbey, Skipton BD23 6HA
- Open 10-5 – Park closed during offseason
- Open from February 19
- Adults – £7.00, Children – £7.00, Under 2s – £3.50, Under 1s – £1.00
If you want to get close to animals Hesketh Farm Park is a fantastic place to visit. There is lots of animal interaction including a chance to brush guinea pigs and feed calves! If outdoor play is what you’re looking for you can also enjoy a fantastic playground and covered indoor play area as well as cycle go-karts!
Big Sheep & Little Cow Farm
- Aiskew Watermill, Bedale DL8 1AW
- Open 10-5 daily during school holidays, Wednesday – Sunday term time
- Adults – £8.50, Children – £8.50, Under 1s – FREE
Big Sheep & Little Cow Farm offers a hands-on farm experience for children and adults. They have both indoor and outdoor play areas complete with go-karts and a sandpit. There are also special baby and toddler sessions.
Thornton Hall Farm Country Park, Skipton
- Thornton Hall Farm, Thornton-in-Craven, Skipton, Yorkshire BD23 3TJ
- Open daily 10 – 4:30 (after March 29th)
The very highly rated Thornton Hall Farm is a traditional working farm that also has both a country tea room and play barn and is a great farm for kids. For over 6’s there is quad bike trekking and there are also many events planned throughout the year.
Monk Park Farm, Thirsk
- Green Ln, Thirsk YO7 2AG
- Open daily 10am to 5pm
- Day tickets from £8 per person, season tickets also available
There are around 100 animals at Monk Park Farm, including chickens, sheep, pigs, rabbits, guinea pigs, fallow deer, red deer, alpacas and even albino wallabies – along with their new babies! Monk Park Farm was given a new lease of life last year when new owners took over and invested in a major programme of improvements, All the facilities have been refurbished, the large outdoor play and picnic area enhanced, and a huge new sandpit added. There are electric karts, barrel rides, an extended petting barn, a new mini train ride and gigantic air bouncers. The paths are now more pram and wheelchair friendly and a nice touch is the audio information boards about the animals. On-site café The Hungry Monk offers favourites such as homemade chips and stone baked pizzas, with vegan and vegetarian options available.
South Yorkshire Farms
Cannon Hall Farm, Barnsley
- Cannon Hall Farm, Bark House Lane, Cawthorne, Barnsley S75 4AT
- Open daily 10-5
- Prices vary depending on the date but start at £10.95. Children under 3 are free.
Cannon Hall Farm describes itself as being ‘the perfect family day out’ and indeed, it does have it all. There’s a farm shop, tea room, adventure play ground, many animals to visit and lots of special events. There are also exciting things to do during the day including sheep racing and guinea pig feeding.
Marina C says, “Cannon Hall Farm is a great farm to visit. It has lots of outdoor adventure playgrounds for all ages, nice food in the cafe, lots of animals and baby ones too to look at. I went there the other day and there will be an indoor play gym area there by the end of the year which will be good for rainy days.”
Boston Park Farm
- Bawtry Road, Hatfield Woodhouse, Hatfield, Doncaster DN7 6DS
- Off-peak prices start at £2.50 for adults, £5.50 for children (3-12 yrs) and £4.50 for toddlers (1 & 2 yrs)
- Opening times vary
Boston Park Farm lets families experience life on a traditional working farm. Children can pet and feed animals or even join in with animal handling sessions. There are climbing frames, swings, slides, a go-kart track, mud kitchens, and a bale pyramid to climb outdoors. Inside you’ll find a soft play area with a bouncy castle, play kitchen and a giant sandpit.
East Yorkshire Farms
- Bewholme Ln, Hornsea HU18 1BY
- Honeysuckle Farm Website
- Adults – £6.50, Children – £5.50, Under 2 – FREE
- Opening dates and times vary
Honeysuckle Farm is a large farm with farm animals and other farming exhibits. During your visit, you can enjoy play forts, animal viewing platforms, a maze, and a pond with fish feeding. You can try their home-made jersey ice cream!
More Yorkshire Farms & Animal Attractions to Visit
Filey Bird Garden and Animal Park, Filey, North Yorkshire
ABC Wildlife Park, Askham Byram, York
Sowerby Hall & Gardens, Bridlington
Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster
Tropical World, Leeds
Tropical Butterfly House, Sheffield
Beacon Hill Ice Cream Farm, Near Whitby
Flamingo Land, Malton
More Ideas for Outdoor Fun
If you’ve been to any of these animal farms in Yorkshire, let us know how you got on in the comments below. Any tips you might have for visiting with tots is always appreciated too!
Join over 35,000 Yorkshire parents on our Facebook Page
Share your recommendations or ask questions in our Facebook Group
Follow us on Twitter
See what we’re up to on Instagram