After a few dark winter months of play gyms and indoor time, I am always anxious to get outdoors at the first sign of Spring. To me, there’s no better day out with the kids than a visit to one of many farms in Yorkshire!
Below you’re find 10 farms in Yorkshire perfect for visiting with your little lambs.
1. Meanwood Valley Urban Farm
- Sugar Well Rd, Leeds LS7 2QG
- Open daily 10-4
- £2 a visit for adults and 50p for children
Meanwood Valley Urban Farm is a bargain at just £5 for a family of 4. The farm has alpacas, goats, guinea pigs, rabbits, donkeys and ducks. It also runs a breeding programme for endangered animals like the Yorkshire Whitefaced Woodland sheep. There is also a small playground and some walks on site. To top it off, the café serves locally sourced food for you and your tots to enjoy!
2. Wigfield Farm
- Haverlands Ln, Worsbrough, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S70 5NQ
- Open daily 10-4
- A family ticket is just £8 (for two adults and three juniors) and an annual pass £30.
Wigfield farm is working farm with a visitors centre, shop and café. There is a pitch n putt on site and many animals to see including meerkats, cows, goats, ponies, pigs, sheep, donkeys, chipmunks, chinchillas, guinea pigs and rabbits as well as an aquatics room.
Kate M. says it’s a, “lovely little farm with meerkats and a good cafe!”
3. Creepy Crawlies
- The Web Adventure Park, Wigginton Road, York.YO32 2RH
- Open daily 9:30 – 7 (open until 8 Friday & Saturday)
- Peak time prices for babies is £1, 1-3 year olds £6.25, 4-16 year olds £7.25 and £2 entry for adults.
Creepy Crawlies is an indoor play centre, adventure park, animal zone and hair and beauty studio all in one.
Louise says, “(There is a) large inside play gym, large play area outside, including large sand pit, rope swings and animals. Suitable for all ages. Also next door (same owners) is wired, outside rope course (a bit like Go ape, but not as big), great for the older kids.”
4. Goodalls of Tong
- Tong Lane, Bradford BD4 0RP
- No website – phone 0113-285 2728
- Open daily 10-5 in the summer, winter hours vary
- Entry to the farm is free, ice cream cones start at £1.70.
Goodall’s of Tong serve over 25 flavours of their own ice cream and have a small collection of ducks, donkeys, pigs and sheep for kids to visit. There are also picnic tables for warm sunny days and an indoor tea room.
We love to visit Goodall’s, read our Review of Goodalls of Tong
5. Piglets Adventure Farm Park
- Piglets, Adventure Farm Park at The Farmer’s Cart, Towthorpe Grange, Towthorpe Moor Lane, York YO32 9ST
- Open daily 10-5:30 (March 5 – Nov 2)
- Family tickets start at £12.50 for midweek visits and under 1’s are free. Prices go up significantly during weekends school holidays.
Piglets Adventure Farm Park boasts an animal barn, farm yard trail (with optional quiz), bouncing pillows, crazy farm golf, maize maze, barrel train ride and go karts. Enough to make Piglets an adventure farm park indeed!
6. Hesketh Farm Park
- Bolton Abbey, Skipton BD23 6HA
- Open 10-5 – Park closed during off season
- Under 1 – Free, Under 2’s £3, Children £6, Adults £5.5o
If you want to get close to animals Hesketh Farm Park is a fantastic place to visit. There is lots of animal interaction including a chance to brush guinea pigs and feed calves! If outdoor play is what you’re looking for you can also enjoy a fantastic playground and covered indoor play area as well as cycle go-karts!
7. Cannon Hall Farm
- Cannon Hall Farm, Bark House Lane, Cawthorne, Barnsley S75 4AT
- Open daily 10-4 (10-5 after January 7)
- A family ticket is £30 during weekends and school holidays though the end of March. Children under 3 are free.
Cannon Hall Farm describes itself as being ‘the perfect family day out’ and indeed, it does have it all. There’s a farm shop, tea room, adventure play ground, many animals to visit and lots of special events. There are also exciting things to do during the day including sheep racing and guinea pig feeding.
Marina C says, “Cannon hall farm is a great farm to visit. It has lots of outdoor adventure playgrounds for all ages, nice food in the cafe, lots of animals and baby ones too to look at. I went there the other day and there will be an indoor play gym area there by the end of the year which will be good for rainy days.”
8. Charlotte’s Ice Cream Parlour
- The Meadows, Whitley Rd, Dewsbury WF12 0NQ
- Open daily 10:30-6
- Free entry, charge for the rides and slide
Charlotte’s Ice Cream Parlour serves up real jersey ice cream and has lots of extras for the kids including a 30 foot inflatable slide, crazy golf and a tractor buggy ride. There are birds and animals to visit including peacocks a giant rabbit, goats, donkeys, and Jersey cows.
9. Home Farm – Temple Newsam
- Temple Newsam Road, Off Selby Road, Leeds LS15 0AE
- Open Tuesday – Sunday 10-4 (10-5 in the summer)
- Family entry to the farm only is £9.60, children under 5 free.
There are over 400 animals to visit at Home Farm including sheep, cattle, pigs, chickens and goats. The cobbled farm yard and historic building offer a lovely atmosphere for a farm day out. While you’re there you can also visit Temple Newsam, enjoy the adventure playground, picnic areas, nature trails, café, visitor’s centre and shop.
10. Thornton Hall Farm Country Park
- Thornton Hall Farm, Thornton-in-Craven, Skipton, Yorkshire BD23 3TJ
- Open daily 10 – 4:30 (after March 29th)
- Children £7, adults £6.50, under 2’s £3.50 and under 1’s are free.
The very highly rated Thornton Hall Farm is a traditional working farm which also has both a country tea room and play barn. For over 6’s there is quad bike trekking and there are also many events planned throughout the year.
More Yorkshire farms to visit
Big Sheep, Little Cow in Bedale, North Yorkshire
Butterfly House, Sheffield Sarah F says, “It is lovely for little ones. Not strictly a farm, it has birds, meerkats, marmosets, goats, ducks, hens, amazing play area and nice cafe. Free for under 3s.”
Brimham Rocks Adventure Farm, Brimham Rocks, North Yorkshire
Ponderosa Animal & Adventure Centre, Heckmondwike
Brimham Rocks Adventure Farm, North Yorkshire
MORE IDEAS FOR OUTDOOR FUN IN YORKSHIRE
Yorkshire walks for families round up guide
10 Yorkshire farms to visit
Top picks for outdoor lidos, pools and wild swimming in Yorkshire
Top bike rides in Yorkshire with families
If you’ve been to any of these Yorkshire farms, let us know how you got on in the comments below. Any tips you might have for visiting with tots is always appreciated too!Join us on Facebook