This moth’s Yorkshire blogger feature is Natasha from Yorkshire Hygge Mama. Natasha’s blog embraces all things hygge. If you’re not yet heard of hygge, it is a Danish concept of well-being. Natasha says “as long as you feel comfy and cosy – you’ve achieved Hygge Excellence!” Her blog is an honest & inspiring look at bringing a bit of hygge into a busy family life.
1 . How long have you lived in Yorkshire?
I’ve lived here for 14 years. Both my husband and I moved here for work and it’s such a friendly place we’ve decided to stay…we’ve even moved my in-laws up here too! We love that our daughters (now 5 and 2) will be Yorkshire Lasses
2. What are your top 3 places in Yorkshire to visit with your family?
- Eureka museum in Halifax, such an interesting day out and bad weather friendly.
- Harewood House. The grounds are amazing and it’s my eldest daughters favourite playground.
- The Deep. My youngest is fish mad and the two of them are fascinated. Again, bad weather friendly. I find all 3 places have a lot of room for the girls to run around.
3. What do you like to do with your family on a rainy day?
If we aren’t visiting the above, we love having a Hygge day in the house. We are huge book fans, so we will read books wrapped in blankets and then we make up stories where we take turns to make parts up. We also like to paint & bake, we accept that we make a huge mess then I pop the girls into the bath with glowsticks and bubbles!
4. Where do you like to go for a grown up night out?
Always the Blackhouse restaurant in Leeds. It has the most amazing food, wine, decor, atmosphere. Cannot beat Saturday nights with the pianist.
5. What do you find the most difficult about days out with children?
My husband works away so often it’s me and the kids and it’s little things like queueing for food or one child needing the toilet urgently when sitting down for food and there’s a queue for the toilet!
6. What makes Yorkshire a great place to live?
The fact that you’re never very far away from a beautiful park to visit. I think a lot of the attractions are good value too.
7. What three words would you use to describe your blog?
I think my name defines what you find! Yorkshire. Hygge. Mama.
8. Do you have a favourite blog post or a popular blog post you can share?
The blog I wrote about trying to create the perfect Christmas pretty much summed me up. It was incredibly cathartic to write, especially the part about being “shouty mum” and embracing Hygge.
9. Is there any place in Yorkshire you’d like to visit but haven’t been yet?
I’ve never really explored the Yorkshire Dales. I would love to take a trip there with the family. Stay in a cottage or farm or similiar and go walking / exploring the area on the bikes with a picnic. It’s on my bucket list.
10. What is your favourite place to take a family holiday in Yorkshire?
I love Whitby, not only is it beautiful but there’s so much to do for everyone! We’ve had a few breaks at The Sands in Scarborough too and I love the location – right on the beach – as well as having a separate living area so we can have a meal and a bottle of wine on the balcony whilst the girls sleep.
Thank you Natasha for being this month’s Yorkshire Family Blogger feature! Visit Yorkshire Hygge Mama for more of the hygge life.