This month’s featured blogger is Naomi from tripswithatot.com. Trips with a Tot is full of great ideas for family days out around Yorkshire and includes lots of great inspiration for inexpensive days out and days out using public transportation.
1. Can you tell us a little bit about your family?
Eric is 1 and a half years old, he is our first child. Me and my OH, Ollie, have been together 8 years. My mum lives alone close to the countryside and my dad passed away in 2010. I would like to have more kids in the future but really not sure when! (One seems hard enough, haha)
2. How long have you lived in Yorkshire?
All my life, I was born in Sheffield and have been a Yorkshire girl ever since despite living in London a few years for university.
3. What are your top 3 places in Yorkshire to visit with your family?
What a hard question! I live in Sheffield and would have to recommend places close by. Particularly, the Peak District! However it’s unclear as to which parts of the Peak District count as being in Yorkshire!
There are so many lovely places to visit in the Peak District and 1/3rd of Sheffield actually counts as being in the Peak District so those parts! Haha.
1) Peak District (if you’re letting me have that one!)
2) eureka! The national children’s museum which is fantastic and so hands on! I used to go there as a child with school and it was a blast to the past taking my son back there after 20 years.
3) Sheffield! Maybe I’m biased as I live here but we have museums, loads of parks, farms, community fayres and festivals, lots of family events, magna science park and tropical butterfly house!
4. What do you like to do with your family on a rainy day?
Visit a museum. We have great museums in Sheffield, Weston park museum, kelham island museum and national emergency services museum are our favourites. My son loves the national emergency services; riding the real cars and ambulances make him so happy.
5. Where do you like to go for a grown up night out?
We haven’t been on a grown up night out without Eric yet; but we have been to a few evening events like street markets, food festivals and meals out. We love pedlars night market for amazing food, atmosphere and beer! It’s the first weekend of every month here in Sheffield.
6. What do you find the most difficult about days out with children?
Fitting everything in! Before we had Eric, we used to fit so much in one day… we would easily be able to do a few things and that was before dinner! Now one activity / thing to see takes all day haha, to fit it around naps and 100 snack times is hard. We have learnt to try and plan our days more basic and keep it as easy as possible to make sure it goes smooth. If we get more done; great! If not, that’s fine too.
7. Do you have any money saving tips for days out?
Yes! If using public transport check the national rail 2 for 1 offers, they’re brilliant. Also we swear by airbnb for cheap accommodation especially overnight trips, and if you can refer a friend you both get £25 credit. We have used it for years. On overnight stays we eat a picnic indoors to save money on eating out too.
8. What three words would you use to describe your blog?
Fun, informative, useful
9. Why did you start blogging?
I’ve been running a parents meet up group for a year prior to starting my blog which meant arranging days out, trips to local places and picnics for us all. Over the course of doing that for a year, and with me and my partners interest in going out and travelling too, I knew a lot about where to go locally with a toddler! A lot of people told me they knew I had loads of ideas, I was always out and about and I was asked lots by friends and family for ideas. I thought with all that combined it just felt like a natural progression on from it all.
10. Do you have a favourite blog post or a popular blog post you can share?
I really love our new Chatsworth day out at the farmyard and playgrounds, it was the first nice weather day of the year and first water play my son had fun with! I love how the video came out; it really makes me smile.
11. What do you enjoy about blogging?
I love when people say they recognise me in local groups/events/sling community and say they love my blog and find it so helpful. I’m so glad that someone is getting inspiration from it! I have been there googling for ages trying to find out where to go and can only find tripadvisor reviews; I’m glad that someone finds my stuff useful and hopefully they go on to have a lovely day out with their family creating nice memories.
12. Are there any place in Yorkshire you’d like to visit but haven’t been yet?
Loads! The list seems never ending. Just off the top of my head, stockeld park! And we are going this week; I can’t wait.
13. What is your favourite place to take a family holiday in Yorkshire?
The coast! Filey, Scarborough and Bridlington as classic seaside holidays. I love the arcades, beaches and sewerby hall and gardens in Bridlington.
14. Are there any family friendly cafes or restaurants that you can recommend for young children?
Yes, pizza express are really good with kids, Wetherspoons because food comes fast and they have colouring, family pubs with play areas are great like wacky warehouse. We tend not to eat out much unless he is having a nap or it is one of those! He is in a high chair strike so it make sure eating out a bit tricky.